Apply to become our Head of Operations
March 14, 2023
Download the full job specification as a PDF.
Are you passionate about social change?
Are you an exceptional project manager and a great communicator?
Would you like to be part of a movement to open up access to funding and skills in the UK social sector?
The Fore is now recruiting a Head of Operations to join our forward-thinking, welcoming team and play a pivotal role in ambitious plans to lead change in the funding sector. We are looking for someone who will bring experience, initiative and first-rate project management skills. We actively encourage applications from a wide range of backgrounds and from all sections of the community.
Founded in 2017, The Fore is a pioneering grant-maker providing strategic development funding and skills support to small charities and social enterprises across the UK. We have a mission to remove barriers to make sure anyone with talent and drive can get hold of the support they need to create social change. Across all our activities we endeavour to demonstrate new and exceptional standards of funding practice. We have secured recognition across the third sector and beyond for our charity- led, friendly, professional, supportive funding practices and our commitment to skills development, skills sharing, impact management and transparency.
Our collaborative model is grounded in the principle that our society will be stronger when we are better connected and the private and non-profit sectors work together. Our grantees gain access to new networks and skills while our corporate partners are given the opportunity to introduce their staff to some of the best small social purpose organisations out there. The Fore has ambitious plans to expand its activities across the UK. The Head of Operations will be central in the design and realisation of these plans.
There is no need for formal qualifications or previous experience in grant-making. The right individual will have at least ten years’ professional experience. They will be comfortable with engaging with people at all levels, highly organised, friendly, empathetic, humble, pro-active, motivated to create change and keen to learn.
The Head of Operations will work alongside other members of the Senior Management team and currently holds line management responsibilities for a team of two staff: a Programme and Communications Officer and a Programme Assistant. The role is also responsible for a team of 30–40 Strategic Applicant Consultants. As The Fore is growing, this team is likely to expand. The role includes extensive scope for developing initiatives and building partnerships complementary to The Fore’s mission.
- 10 years of professional experience in the business, public or third sector
- Significant experience of project or programme management
- Experience managing people – ideally both employed and voluntary
- Experience of high-quality relationship management with a range of stakeholders
- Significant experience of the social sector – knowledge of grassroots or community organisations is particularly desirable
- Experience designing systems and processes
- Track record of working in a fast-paced working environment and/or a growing organisation
Terms & conditions
- This role is offered as a full-time position on a salary of £45,000–£55,000 per annum depending on experience
- For the right candidate there could be flexibility in working hours
- This is a permanent contract and the probationary period is six months with a three month review
- This role reports to the Chief Executive
- The role is based at The Fore’s headquarters, Two Temple Place, London WC2R 3BD
- The team is currently working from the office at least three days per week
- Holiday: 20 days plus 4 days over Christmas, excluding Bank Holidays. Start May 2023
How to apply
Please email a CV along with a short written covering letter (max 2 pages) or video (max 5 mins) telling us why you would like to work with us and specifically addressing how you meet the experience and skills described in the job description. Please address your application to Mary Rose Gunn and email it to email@example.com with the subject line Head of Operations. Please also complete the anonymous equal opportunities form here.
Extended deadline for applications: Friday 14th April at 10am
- First interviews: Thursday 20th and Friday 21st April. Please indicate in your application if you are unavailable on these dates
- Second interviews: Week commencing 24th April